Each year Atlas Translations Limited receives applications from 100s of students, and is able to offer work placements to a small number of students of various ages and nationalities – all with an interest in learning about the translation industry. Students are offered full training and integration into the company.
We have been offering work placements since 1993. We are pleased that previous placement students have found them to be invaluable – some have ended up working in-house for Atlas, others have gone on to other translation companies, many now work for Atlas on a freelance basis.
It should be noted that students are NOT assigned translation work (unless they have relevant commercial experience).
We take on students and graduates from both the UK and overseas.
Why does Atlas do this?
- Training of future translators and project managers
- Providing realistic expectations of what translators actually do
- Strengthening the market of freelance translators
- Recruitment opportunities
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Two-way learning – we learn a lot from our placement students!
- To improve the training and employability of graduates and postgraduates of language and translation courses
- To strengthen links between Atlas and graduate/postgraduate students
Duration of placement?
A minimum of three months, on a full time basis. Please note that because we offer full and detailed training, we cannot offer part time placements or work placements for less than three months.
Range of work experience
- Translation/proofreading tasks – limited amount depending on commercial experience.
- IT skills
- Project Management – understanding client requirements
- Working relationships – development of trust and support between colleagues and student
- Internet search/glossaries and dictionaries on-line for terminology
- Admin such as invoicing, purchase orders, contracts, payments, post, filing, archives, maintaining records and databases.
What’s in it for students?
- This is a hands-on position offering experience in project management of translation projects
- Mentoring/training – named supervisors and regular (informal) meetings
- An excellent first step in your career. Work placements give you better job prospects and the opportunity to apply your new knowledge and skills in a commercial environment.
- Past work placements refer to learning about…Business practice, dealing with clients, dealing with problems, negotiating deadlines, estimating jobs, managing budgets, experience of working with Trados, organisation of time and electronic files…
- Participating in the development and writing of marketing materials and blogs
- Recruiting, assessing and managing the application process for prospective translators
- Participating in coordination of translation and interpreting projects
- Assessing documents and software
- Updating and improving the company’s website
Aims of the programme
- To introduce students to a real-life translation environment
- To make students aware of the culture and structure of the professional translation environment and the necessary skills associated with it
- To observe and participate in translation projects and activities appropriate to their competence, building on and extending their translation-related skills
- To apply skills in the working environment, under pressure and according to deadlines – independently and part of a team.
What we expect from students
- To be highly creative, have excellent written communication skills, and be able to work independently.
- To conduct themselves professionally, with staff and clients
- To act within the terms and condition of our contractual agreement
- To undertake work to a satisfactory standard
- To maintain a reasonably smart appearance
- To arrive punctually for work and any meetings
- To report any absence from work as soon as possible
Read our WP testimonials, based on feedback from WPs who have completed placements.
We also have a “frequently asked questions document”, download a copy of the FAQs here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any other queries.