Latest from the blog

Posted on6 June 2022

Certified Translation for UK Visa

[Updated 10th August 2023]

If you’re from outside the UK and are looking to visit, study, or work in the country, it can be tricky to get your head around the requirements for visa applications. Getting the translation essentials right can be a great way to avoid stress and save time in the visa process.

Who Needs a UK Visa?

UK visa requirements can differ depending on where you’re from and why you’re travelling, with a wide range of different visa types available to apply for. If you’re not sure if you need a visa or not, you can check on the UK government website.

Many UK visa applications may require you to provide official documents such as birth certificates, employment contracts or marriage licences. If these documents are in a language other than English, you may need to use a certified translation service to prove their veracity.

What is Certified Translation?

Certified translations include a signature or stamp of approval from a certified translation agency stating that the translation is accurate. This gives credibility to the translation, ensuring that the documents in question are officially recognised by UK visa administrators.

If your documents haven’t been certified by a recognised translation agency, your visa application is likely to be immediately rejected. Knowing when you might need a certified translator can go a long way in making your UK visa process as smooth as possible.

Fortunately, you’re in the right place! As a member of the ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting) and the ATC (Association of Translation Companies), we regularly provide our clients with document translation for UK visas. You can see an example of our certifying letter here. If you’d like to request a quote, just fill out our form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Do I Need Certified Translation for a UK Visa?

If you need to submit official documents written in a language other than English as part of your visa application process, they will need to be verified by a certified translation agency to be recognised by the UK Home Office.

The documents required for a UK visa application will vary based on what type of visa you’re applying for. For example, a student visa may require a birth certificate and school transcripts, while a long-term work visa may need an employment contract or degree certificate as part of the application process. You can check which documents are required for your case through the UK Visa and Immigration website.

Who can Translate Documents for a UK Visa?

As a certified translations agency, Atlas Translations is here to help with all of your UK visa document translation needs. Get in touch with our team today to learn more about how we can make sure everything is up to scratch with the translation side of your visa application.

Our professional translators will ensure that all your documents meet the standard required by the official UK visa process. Give us a call on 01727 812725, email us at or get in touch via our website to learn more.

ATC – Full membership of the ATC (Association of Translation Companies).

CIEP – Corporate membership of the CIEP (Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading) since 1993.

Corporate membership of the ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting) since 1994. Corporate Member of the Year 2021.

ISO 17100 – ISO 17100:2017 for Translation Services (since this standard began, in 2008, externally audited annually).

ISO 9001 – BS EN ISO 9001:2015 (certified since 2003, externally audited annually).

Living wage employer – As a living wage employer, we believe our staff deserve a wage which meets every day needs.

Mindful employer

Mindful employer – We are a mindful employer, working toward achieving better mental health at work.


Disability confident committed – We are Disability Confident Committed, ensuring our recruitment, communications and support are inclusive and accessible.

4-day week

4-day week employer since 2019


Good Business Charter Member since 2022

The Slator Language Service Provider Index (LSPI) is a ranking and an index of the world’s largest translation, localization, interpreting, and language technology companies.


The Patient Information Forum promotes access to trusted and high-quality health information for the public and healthcare professionals.

Federation of Small Businesses and the Self-Employed

Member of the Federation of Small Businesses and the Self-Employed

Prompt Payment Code

Signatory of the Prompt Payment Code since 2023.